The Good Life Beckons
- Local Government Elections to be held on March 18, 2016 after 19 years!
Jubilee & Tourism
- $300M for Golden Jubilee celebrations
- $200M for Georgetown Restoration Programme.
- Four-day Jubilee Festival for National Stadium; Coconut Festival along with local events countrywide
- Campaign ‘Home Coming Guyana’ to target Guyanese Diaspora.
- “Guyana, South America Undiscovered” – new initiative to market Tourism
- Revised National Tourism Policy to be developed
VAT, Taxes & Business
- Income Tax threshold raised to $660,000, from $600,000; more than 68,000 workers to benefit
- VAT exemption for par-boiled rice; packaging materials and malt extracts other than Ovaltine
- Customs Act to exempt computer printer ink and toner cartridges for non-commercial printers
- From April 1, GPL to increase rebate to consumers from 10 percent to 15 percent
- Reduction in taxes on new tyres
- Tax exemption on all bio-degradable containers used in the packaging of food and beverages.
- No excise tax on motor vehicles under 1500cc and less than four years old; other taxes reduced from 118% to 68.2%.
- Income Tax exemption for income earned by Artistes during festivities certified by the Tourism Minister.
- Government to support private businesses by cutting bureaucratic red tape.